As the weather turns warmer and the sun makes its’ presence more known, it’s not unusual for our thoughts to drift to images of beaches, lakes, boating, and inevitably… swim suits, shorts, and tank tops. If the thought of that apparel after a long winter and holiday indulgence makes you shudder, you’re not alone. By now, we may have slid off the wagon a bit on our well intentioned, albeit lofty, New Year’s Weight Loss Resolutions. We are back to the daily grind, and oftentimes, our health or weight loss goals get put on the back burner.
Though we may not be making weight loss progress like we would like, that doesn’t make the desire to be fitter, healthier versions of ourselves any less real. Some of us just need to shed our holiday weight, others are looking to get back to a pre baby physique, and some are in the pursuit of a “beach body”. Others of us, however, are hoping to alleviate back, joint, and muscle pain, some of us would desperately like to get our Type 2 Diabetes under control, and others are just hoping to find a way to manager their high cholesterol and blood pressure without more medication. It’s amazing how many different situations and needs can be solved with weight loss. Of course, the million dollar question is… how?? We have probably all tried at least some diet or weight loss technique, so what are we going to do this time? How are we going to successfully lose weight quickly? Luckily there are several ways to go about it, depending on your own personal situation and preferences.
- Reduce Calorie Intake, Increase Calories Burned
- The most traditional method of weight loss, tracking your calorie intake and staying between 1200-1500 calories a day, while increasing your calories burned via exercise, provides a safe, gradual weight loss. This is only effective if you consciously monitor how many calories you consumer, and exercise regularly to burn calories.
- Follow an Exclusion Diet
- Several diets exist in which you do not count calories, but you exclude certain food groups. Some include eliminating sugar, carbohydrates, dairy, and more. This is often difficult for people to eliminate entire groups of food and can end in regaining weight one the diet period is over.
- Weight Loss Medication
- Today’s market is flooded with diet pills and supplements. Many promise weight loss fast with little to no effort on the part of the consumer, other than using the product. However, there are actually prescription medications designed for this purpose also. If you feel that this is the best route for you, please consult with your doctor to find the best, safest fit for you.
- Regimented Diet Programs
- For those that find measuring, calculating, and cooking to be overwhelming and ineffective, there are still options! Some diets provide your food and plans for you to be successful. Most of these plans require consumption of several meals of the plan’s food daily, and then ideas and regulations for foods you prepare for yourself.
In any weight loss quest, it is best to consult your doctor first. If you are experiencing rapid weight loss, it is important to monitor your health and ensure you aren’t losing any key nutrients in the process. At VIP Medical Services, we offer several different ways for our members to pursue their weight loss goals. In addition to exploring weight loss medications, we also offer a medically supervised weight loss plan that pairs very low calorie meal supplement items with weekly weigh ins, monitoring, and coaching. If weight loss is a goal of yours, give us a call at 417-485-4847 to see how we can help! In addition, if you are looking for a new Primary Care provider, consider making VIP Medical Services your healthcare home! We offer a higher standard of primary care at affordable prices.